Monday 14 November 2016

All about raising Alan

‘Down’s Syndrome is not going to stop my son from leading a wonderful life’

was 33 years old when Alan was born. He had a flat nose, almond-shaped eyes, and short limbs. He looked like a doll. I felt blessed. A few hours later, I was told that he had Down’s Syndrome and was born without an anus.

I wept uncontrollably. But even before I could absorb what Down’s Syndrome meant, he was whisked away to a neo-natal intensive care unit for his first pull-through surgery. His second and third were performed at intervals of a few months each. He was the first baby to undergo laparoscopy in Chennai under the guidance of a group of surgeons from Switzerland.

Everyone, including doctors, told me that I would not be able to cope and that life as I knew it would be over if I kept Alan. But I refused to give up my baby and vowed to raise him myself.

They were wrong: having Alan is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He changed my life for the better; he made me a stronger person.

Full Story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pl. post your comments