Tuesday 26 January 2016

Who’s Afraid of Gender-Neutral Bathrooms?

Amid a debate over transgender rights, the arguments against gender-neutral restrooms are remarkably consistent with the Victorian notions that created sex-segregated facilities in the first place.

In the middle of taking the bar exam at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, in New York City, along with thousands of aspiring lawyers, I had to go to the bathroom. The enormous line for the women’s restroom looked like it would take at least a half hour. There was no line for the men’s restroom. I walked in, passed my male counterparts at a row of urinals, used one of several empty stalls, then returned to my desk. I felt that my decision to forgo the women’s bathroom made a difference to my passing the exam, and that the much longer wait for women than men during an all-important test for entry to the legal profession was obviously unfair.

Read the article

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pl. post your comments